SREEKAKULAM (Andhra Pradesh
||Rev. Prem T Mathew
||14-362, Vadama Road,
Opp. Sai Vasavi Tirumala Kalyana Mandapam
Palakonda P. O., Srikakulam - 532 440, Andhra Pradesh
The Mar Thoma Mission at Sreekakulam in Andhra Pradesh is one of the major mission entities of the Delhi Diocese of the Mar Thoma Syrian Church. It largely focuses on field activities in several villages of the region. Besides missionary work, the major activities of the mission include a hostel facility for students, from school to college level, and provides them financial aid to complete their education.
The Srikakulam mission is entering its seventh year and continues to take greater strides in its mission endeavours. The missionary Achen (priest) along with 29 evangelists and around 20 staff are engaged in this mission.
- The hostel activities of the mission are a major focus, with around 95 students from nursery to degree courses staying there and carrying out their education activities. As a home away from home, the mission hostels nurture the children in religious and academic fields in an enterprising way.
- Many of the children are so talented that they exhibit exemplary talent even in sports and extra- curricular activities. Some of them have reached district and state levels, especially in sports. Most of them are artists with unique drawing and painting abilities. The caring and sharing attitude along with a prayerful life combined with punctuality and diligence make the children a blessing for the mission and the society.
- Every month, workers’ meeting is conducted and all evangelists and staff attend and jointly pray and pledge to move forward in the mission activities.
- For the personal and social development, there are around four tailoring centres with around 30 young women learning tailoring and stitching, helping them to earn their livelihood.
- There are five Balwadis catering to the religious and educational needs of the village children.
- The Mar Thoma Tribal School carries out its mission at Killada village in the Saura dialect with around 30 students.
- The mission activities encompass many villages and more are added to the existing ones.
- Many are accepting the Christian faith. Around 27 people, who have accepted Christ as their saviour, were baptised.
- On a regular basis, prayer meetings, meetings for special occasions and youth meetings are conducted making them the primary focus. The believers prayerfully attend these meetings with faith and courage.
- Holy Communion is celebrated at mission chapels at Somagandi, Keesara, Mukundapuram and Sapraiguda. The believers and the evangelists along with seekers attend these services with much fervour.
- More than 3 areas with new believers and seekers were added last year.
- New areas of worship extending into the state of Orissa have been set up and the believers are encouraged with frequent visits. The evangelists undertake all pain, irrespective of their health, the season and climate.
- New mission chapels are being built for the glory of God. More youngsters are coming to know Jesus.
- Presently, six students are undergoing theological education at Sihora Bible Institute and Dharma Jyoti Vidya Peeth, Faridabad. This year, two students have completed their theological education from Sihora Bible Institute.